Tuesday, January 4, 2011

My Edwardian Corset Girdle (circa 1918)

Technically, this corset, dated in C & C as c. 1918, is 8 years after King Edward VII had passed on.  In my head, I guess the fun Edwardian era ends with the advent of World War I, in July of 1914.  I doubt there was all that much “fun” to be had during that time period for much of anyone, and corsets are just beginning to cease production during this time.  I do like to include the corset girdles in this time-frame because they are still interesting.  They still have a center busk and older women are clinging to them in some respects, which is sort of symbolic, for me.  (Think Chekhov’s Cherry Orchard, and all that - Ah! the past!) 
What I mean to say is that I’ll define my own very loose, emotional terms for “Edwardian”:   I’d like to include the Fin de Siecle (I couldn’t cut myself off from all of that!) that is, 1890 thru until Armistice Day, November, 1918.  And then, my friends, it’s really, clearly over.  For real.
This is going to be so much fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment