Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Elastic & Boning Issue

This corset has elastic around the top. This is troublesome to me, at first, because the (very 1980’s) elastic I have is finished on the edges (I think, I’ll have to locate it.)  So, if it’s finished and the bone casings allow the bones to go up into the elastic areas, then what?  How do I finish them off?
Locating this picture from ebay:



showed me that there is indeed binding around both the fabric and the elastic, not just the fabric. The boning channels are set up into the elastic, so what happens is the fabric is cut off just below the waist, then the elastic goes in at the waist to create one slab of fabric.  Also, the transition of the elastic into the boning channels is really smooth, very pretty.
This 1918 era corset, then, represents the direct opposite of a Victorian corset, where the control was at the waist and the hips were padded and petticoated to extreme extension.  Here, the hips are under control while the waist floats free for the first time since the First Empire.  (I’m missing the 1860’s already…)
I also located the lone piece of elastic I purchased a million years ago for something.  The edges are smooth, ready to slip into seam allowances and/or boning channels.  It’s going to work out fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment