Sunday, February 13, 2011

Have on Hand - Pin from Grandma


My grandmother had this tucked in her stash when she passed.  While I'd like to think that she'd received it from her great aunt or her mother, I can't be certain, as one of her tales of woe involved her entire train case containing the bulk of her jewelry being robbed from the train, at some point.  This putto with butterfly wings is making a sour face and has one thumb up (love me) and the other thumb pointing down (love me not?).  He is actually a bit grotesque, but the over-all style is nouveau in sentiment and execution.  It is marked faintly on the back "sterling" and it looks quite old.  I drag it out and polish it each Valentine's Day and think of my Grandma.  Polishing silver is one of the chores she taught me to do and I actually enjoy it because of her.

No comments:

Post a Comment